My One Word 2013


Garrett has a friend who is a pastor in Wilmington, NC.  Mike and his family head Point City Community Church, which is a beautiful example of the faithfulness of God.  Mike's brother-in-law, Chris, was Garrett's youth minister, and a big part of how Garrett and I met.  (Take a look back at a post I wrote a while ago that outlined "our story".  I'll figure out one day how to link back to it, but for now, look back the old fashioned way).  

Mike co-wrote a book titled My One Word, which encourages us to think, ponder, and pray over one word that we would like to focus on in the coming year.  I haven't read the book yet, but it's on order and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I've participated to an extent in years past, and am doing the same this year, just more publicly.

My One Word for 2013 is PRESENT.  I am striving to be more present, involved, saturated by, the every day things in life.  I don't want to just "be in the room" as things happen around me- I want to be fully immersed in them and by them.  At work, I want to fully engage with my students.  At home, I want to really hear what my children say and do.  I want to truly listen to my husband and understand his heart.  I want to interact with my parents.  To quote Aerosmith, "I don't want to miss a thing."  This, for me, will mean putting down the phone during "down time".  It'll mean engaging my children more during meals, rather than quietly enjoying the silence (while thinking it's good that they're enjoying the meal).  

I also want to use the word PRESENT as a reminder to give.  Give of myself.  To others.  Not just on their birthdays, but just because.  I want to live a life that shines the light of Jesus.  I want to feel fulfilled, and one key way for that to happen in my life is for me to be available, PRESENT, to others.  

I encourage you to check out www.myoneword.org and see what the discussions are all about.  I'm waiting on confirmation to join the group, but I can't wait to see what all God will do in the lives of those seeking Him this year! 

Comments

Popular Posts