Bub

Today I'm thankful for my brother. Matthew. Bub. Uncle Bub. He has lots of names, but he is phenomenal. He's been mentioned on this blog before, but he's worth mentioning again. :)

I was 5 1/2 when he was born so I pretty vividly remember the process. He was born on a really cold day- March 6, 1986. Mom's water broke early in the morning. I had on my Superman footie pajamas, and put a sweatsuit on top of that. I had to wait on my grandparents to get to the hospital, so I drew pictures. Mom was a not-so-flattering pear shaped blob in most of the pictures. I remember ALWAYS wanting a brother. I'm not sure why I was so adamant about a brother, but I remember going to my little prayer nook (which happened to be beside the refrigerator ???) and praying for a brother. And I got what I prayed for.

Matthew always has been such a great human being. He is so kind-hearted, so encouraging, and always by my side and in my corner. We fussed and grumbled a little as we grew up, as all siblings do, but I don't know that we've ever had any knock-down, drag-out fights. And he loves my children. He spoils them on special occasions and holidays, and though a Saralynn fit will sometimes evoke a "remind me not to have kids" comment from him, he adores my children, and I will forever be grateful to him for that.

He is, thus far, the only college graduate from our family, and I am so proud of him. He has a great job at a wonderful company that he took pretty much right after graduation. He gets to travel and see the world like he'd hoped to do, he gets to use his creativity, and he's making a difference in his own way on the world, and I just can't say enough about how cool it is to watch him in action.

Growing up, I always was keenly aware that he was watching me, following in my footsteps, and so I credit him for helping me keep my nose clean (or at least somewhat). I wanted him to live his own life and not be "Mary Beth's brother". In alot of ways now, I'm "Matthew's sister", and I'm totally fine with that. I love him and only hope to be somewhat like him when I grow up. :)

So, during this time of thanksgiving, I'm so thankful for you, Matthew. Thanks for all you teach me and for the way you love and support me. I'm a better person for having you in my life.

Love,
Dis (He couldn't say my name and called me "Dista" for sister, and "Dis" stuck all these years later). Love it!

Comments

Popular Posts