Where Were You?

In an attempt to preserve the events of today in my mind, I'm going to blog my thoughts as I watch the innauguration. I'm here at work, InterCall, Valley, AL. Not much activity around here today. Less than 10 work-related emails have come through, in contrast to the at least 30 that would've come through by now. I'm surrounded by friends and co-workers, all of whom are glued to cnn.com on their computers, watching the events unfold before us. We will enjoy red, white, and blue cupcakes after President-Elect Obama is sworn in as President Obama.

The overwhelming thought to me: at this point, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference who we voted for. History is unfolding before us. My sweet Saralynn is at day care right now, oblivious to the fact that her world will never be the same. After today is over, editors the world over will scramble to re-write history books. She will probably never fully understand the history of the past and will probably never fully understand the scope and magnitude of what's happening today.

I just listened to Pastor Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church pray over President-Elect Obama. I listened as he said "I ask this in the name of the One who changed my life". Wow.

I feel so blessed to be able to watch the events unfold. I'm thankful for a job that let us watch from our computers. I'm thankful for the men and women that are away from their families fighting so I'm able to watch. I'm thankful for the freedom to be able to watch. I'm thankful that I was able to vote. Though I voted for a different candidate, I did get to vote- something not every human is able to do. And, even though I didn't vote for our now sworn-in President Obama, I will continue to pray for him. I pray a hedge of protection over his family as they journey through today. I pray for clarity of mind and heart for him as he begins his administration.

Above all, what is resonating with me most as I pray now for our newly elected president, is a passage of scripture I came across during the election. Was it written especially for this season? Possibly. But is it true? Of course. It always has been and always will be.

"There is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1

Mr. President, I am honored to be a part of your history and pledge to pray for you and support you, as my Jesus commands me to do. I pray that you feel and recognize the hands that hold you, for they are the same hands that hold me, and I find security in them. I pray you do, too. May your days be blessed with His love.

Jesus, I pray for Your protection and for Your peace for the Obama family in the coming days. I pray that You help us all to take one day at a time and see each day for the blessing it is. Thank You for freedom.

Intentionally,
Mary Beth

Comments

Popular Posts